Vegetable coconut curry recipe filled with goodness of coconut cream, cashew, fresh basil and home made garam masala cooked in a creamy gravy that almost melts in your mouth! Can you ever have enough of so much goodness? I suppose not. This is an absolutely amazing winter recipe that you can have as a main all snuggled up in your couch or as a side with rice,chapati or bulgur wheat. Choice is absolutely yours but do make sure to make a big serving as, you guessed it right, you are going to come back for more. And did I mention this is another one of my favourite vegan dishes.
I made this curry dish last weekend for a yoga workshop and it was liked unanimously by one and all. It was very touching to be showered with all the compliments and appreciations , which in turn motivates me to work on new recipes to share with you all. The best part of the day was I got to meet some amazing people (yogis, if I may say so) and I must say it was a sunday well spent.
You can go crazy with the choice of vegetables you want for this versatile recipe. The key is in making the gravy that compliments the vegetables. I like to use a pan like this one Stainless Steel Non-Stick Frying Pan for making my curry dishes. You probably would need similar kind in two or three different sizes, based on how much you are making.
There are very basic 11 ingredients in this recipe :
- Tomato puree
- Cumin powder
- Garam masala
- Chilli powder
- Cashew cream
- Mixed vegetables
- Coconut cream and milk
- Fresh basil
This recipe is very easy to make and I have made this tons of times. I like this recipe for the following reasons :
- Quick to make
- Absolutely creamy
- Very very delicious
- Can be had as a main or a side
Now let’s get on with the recipe.
- Oil - 4 tbsp.
- Tomato puree - 200 ml
- Ginger - 1 tbsp.(grated or finely chopped)
- Garam masala - 2 tsp.
- Cumin pwder - 2 tsp.
- Chilli powder - 2 tsp.
- Coconut cream + milk - ½ can (around ½ cup)
- Frozen mixed vegetables - 300 g
- Fresh basil - handful
- Cashew - 2 tbsp.
- Salt to taste
- For the cashew paste soak ¼ cup cashew in warm water till it soaks for 1 hour atleast. Blend to a smooth paste in a blender.
- Place a deep pan on the gas top. Add oil and once hot add the finely chopped ginger, keep stirring as they may stick to the bottom of the pan. Once it's very light golden colour add the tomato puree and stir well.
- Place a lid on top and cook the tomato puree in low flame as it would sputter a bit.
- Add the garam masala and cumin powder along with red chilli powder and salt at this point. Let the tomato puree cook till the raw smell goes away.
- Add the thawed vegetables. I normally steam them before I add to the gravy followed by coconut cream plus milk and give it a quick stir till everything comes together.
- Add the cashew paste on top and let it cook for few minutes.
- Finish by adding finely chopped basil leaves on top.